Future customs procedures
Procedure for transit declarations – Normal procedure
Our current transit procedures are being adapted to the requirements in the Union Customs Code. Learn more about pre-lodging a transit declaration using the normal procedure.
The image below describes how to pre-lodge a transit declaration using the normal procedure. Under the image, you can read descriptions of what happens in each step.
1. Creating a transit declaration
The declarant draws a transit declaration and lodges it digitally to Swedish Customs.
A declarant may also engage an agent, who will handle their communications with Swedish Customs. The agent acts on behalf of the declarant.
2. Receiving the transit declaration
Swedish Customs receives the transit declaration and verifies that the information is correctly entered.
- In the event of errors, the customs declaration will be stopped. A message will be sent to inform the declarant that the transit declaration cannot be processed.
- If the information is correct, a message will be sent to the information provider to inform the declarant that the transit declaration has been received.
In the next step, the system verifies the information.
- If there are any errors in this information, a message will be sent to inform the declarant of the identified errors. The declarant will be given an opportunity to amend the errors and re-submit the transit declaration.
3. Confirming receipt of the transit declaration
If the information is correct, a message will be sent to the information provider to inform the declarant that the transit declaration has been received.
4. Receiving the confirmation, adding LRN to the vehicle declaration
The declarant receives the message, adds the LRN to the vehicle declaration and requests to start the transit procedure at the declared customs office of departure.
5. Issuing an MRN (Master Reference Number)
A customs officer approves the case and an MRN is sent to the declarant.
6. Receiving the MRN (Master Reference Number)
The declarant receives the MRN.
– Inspection notification
The declaration will be risk assessed. If the level of risk is deemed to be high, a message informing the declarant that an inspection will be conducted will be sent. The customs officer is authorised to determine if an inspection is warranted and issue an inspection notification.
– Receiving the inspection notification
The declarant receives the message.
7. Release for transit
If an inspection is not conducted, any outstanding debt will be deducted from the declared guarantee.
The customs officer sets a time frame for the consignment and a message of release for transit is sent. The transport starts.
8. Receiving release message
The declarant receives the release notification.