Goods with export restrictions

There are some rules and provisions that apply to certain goods that you must consider when exporting, known as export restrictions.

If your goods are subject to export restrictions, you usually need an export license or some type of authorisation.

Apply for authorisation to export:

  1. Radioactive waste from the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority;
  2. Endangered wild fauna and flora (CITES) from the Swedish Board of Agriculture;
  3. Consumed refrigerating appliances, such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners containing ozone degenerating substances from the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency;
  4. Hunting weapons, handguns, ammunition or hazardous objects from the Inspectorate for Strategic Products or the Swedish Police Authority;
  5. Objects of cultural value from the National Heritage Board.


Waste has become a global trade commodity in the last decades. This has led to an increase in waste transports in waste producing countries, as well as across the borders of some countries. Some waste is classified as hazardous, and may pose risks to humans’ health and the environment.

Find out more about considerations when transporting waste.

Munitions and dual-use goods

To export strategic products, such as munitions and dual-use goods, you may need an authorisation. Dual use goods are goods with an established civilian purpose, but which may be used in conjunction with weapons of mass destruction or for other military purposes.

Find out more about munitions and dual-use goods.

Export and removal of articles of cultural value

There are provisions governing the removal and export of article of cultural value, the purpose of which is to protect the national cultural inheritance from degradation.

Find out more about exporting and removing articled of cultural value.

Export authorisation for vaccines against SARS-related Corona viruses

You need an export authorisation to export vaccines against SARS-related Corona viruses (SARS-CoV variants) and active substances, such as primary cell cultures and graft cultures used to manufacture such vaccines.

Exemptions apply to some countries, such as Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Find out more about export authorisations for vaccines against SARS-related Corona viruses.

Export licence

An export licence is required to export some agricultural products. Request an export licence for agricultural products from the Swedish Board of Agriculture.

Find out more from the website of the Swedish Board of Agriculture.


For various political reasons, the EU, the Organisation for Safety and Security in Europe (OSSE) or the UN may impose export prohibitions on certain countries. Such prohibitions may be global or affect selected goods. Reasons for this may include when the country is in a state of war.

The Government is responsible for information about current sanctions and which Swedish Authorities hold responsibilities related to the sanctions.

Find out more about international sanctions on the website of the Swedish Government.

Call-me codes

Call-me codes are used to inform Swedish Customs that a consignment is subject to export restrictions.

Call-me codes.


Swedish Customs monitor weapons and weapon parts that are imported to or exported from Sweden. The procedure depends on whether you are trading with EU Member States or third countries.


Last updated:

What is updated: Information om exporttillstånd för vissa vacciner har lagts till.

Spam protection with captcha * (mandatory)