Travelling with animals

When bringing animals to Sweden, different rules apply depending on whether they are pets or other animals. Different rules also apply depending on the origin of the animals.

It is important that animals travelling across borders are not carrying infectious diseases. It is also important that you help to combat illegal trade.

The Swedish Board of Agriculture, which is the authority responsible for rules on the importation of animals to Sweden, has more detailed information. Swedish Customs carries out border checks on behalf of the Swedish Board of Agriculture.

The rules on the importation and exportation of live animals other than horses, dogs and cats (information in swedish from the Swedish Board of Agriculture).

Travelling with dogs or cats

When you want to bring your dog or cat into Sweden, you must notify Swedish Customs of this. Failure to do this may be a crime against Sweden’s Act on Penalties for Smuggling. The animal must also fulfil the Swedish Board of Agriculture’s requirements for importation or exportation.

Travelling with dogs or cats.

Travelling with horses

If you are travelling with horses from a country outside the EU, you must give Swedish Customs notification of this when you cross Sweden’s border. Notification must be given at Norrköping Airport or one of the Swedish-Norwegian border inspection posts. You give notification by choosing the red lane in the surveillance area and contacting a customs officer.

Our Customs clearance offices

Temporary admission

Find out about the rules for importation and exportation of horses (information from the Swedish Board of Agriculture).

Buying horses in a country outside the EU

If you buy a horse from a country outside the EU and are going to bring it into Sweden, you must notify Swedish Customs of the horse and pay VAT and any import charges. Remember that, in addition to this, the normal rules for travel with horses also apply (read paragraph above: Travelling with horses).

For more information about import charges, contact us.

Special authorisation for endangered animals and plants

Bringing endangered animals and plants across the border is prohibited without special authorisation. The same applies to products made from endangered animals or plants.

This is regulated in the Washington Convention, also known as the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). The convention is an international agreement between several countries. It aims to save certain animals and plants from extinction.

Anyone found guilty of breaching the convention may be fined or imprisoned.

Read more about endangered animals and plants (information from the Swedish Board of Agriculture).

Read more about CITES.

Endangered animals and plants

Read the EU Commission’s information on trade in endangered fauna and flora.

Last updated:

What is updated: Quality assured

Spam protection with captcha * (mandatory)