Brexit – what does it mean for private individuals?

The fact that the UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 with an approved withdrawal agreement means that trade will continue as usual until 31 December 2020, when the transition period ends. Because negotiations between the EU and the UK about the nature of their future relationship are ongoing, it is important that you follow the developments.

Many of the provisions regarding the importation and exportation of goods to and from countries outside the EU relate to commercial trade. However, there are also many provisions that apply to private individuals. The following information is based on the general rules that apply to trade with countries outside the EU. Depending on the progress of the negotiations on their future relationship, the rules for trade between the EU and the UK may change.

If you shop online

  • All distance shopping with countries outside the EU is subject to Swedish VAT. This is regardless of the value of the goods.
  • If you buy goods costing more than SEK 1,700, there may also be additional customs duties. The question of whether customs duties will be imposed on trade between the UK and the EU is being discussed in the ongoing negotiations.
  • Pharmaceuticals may not be brought into Sweden via letter or parcel post from a country outside the EU.

Things that are good to know before you shop online

If you travel

  • If you travel by aeroplane or ferry and shop outside the EU, the value of goods you may bring into Sweden without having to pay customs duty is SEK 4,700. If you travel any other way, the corresponding sum is SEK 3,300. Remember that you must declare goods above these amounts.
  • If you travel in the EU with more than SEK 10,000 in cash on your person, you must declare the money
  • The alcohol that can be brought in from countries outside the EU is limited to 1 litre of spirits, 4 litres of wine and 16 litres of beer.
  • The tobacco limit is 200 cigarettes.
  • Special rules apply to people who are hunting or competing and travelling with a firearm between Sweden and a country outside the EU. Special rules also apply if you buy or sell a weapon to a country outside the EU.
  • There are special rules when you travel to Sweden with your dog or cat from a country outside the EU.
  • With a few certain exceptions, you may not bring animal products (e.g. meat and dairy products) into the EU unless you have a permit to do so.

Report your goods to Swedish Customs

Travelling to or from Sweden

General information about buying goods in another country

If you are moving to or from Sweden

  • Items of personal property are referred to as “belongings”. There is a possibility that you may be able to bring them in duty-free.

General information about moving to and from Sweden

Follow the development regarding brexit


Website of the European Commission

Website of the UK customs authority

Last updated: 2020-09-21

What is updated: Quality assured