Tobacco from a country outside the EU
Importation of tobacco for personal use when travelling
You may bring tobacco into Sweden tax-free when travelling from a country outside the EU if
- the tobacco is for personal use (or for your family)
- you are personally transporting the goods into Sweden.
- you are at least 18 years old.
However, duty- and tax-free import of tobacco to Sweden from countries outside of the EU by private individuals is limited to a traveller´s allowance of certain quantities of goods. Customs duties and excise must be paid on tobacco products in quantities over the traveller´s allowance.
For travellers living in Sweden, duty- and tax-free importation is only granted if:
- the traveller is arriving in Sweden on a commercial airline or
- the traveller´s trip abroad was longer than 20 hours or
- the tobacco has been taxed in the Åland Islands or Norway.
How much tobacco is included in the traveller´s allowance?
- 200 cigarettes, or
- 100 cigarillos, or
- 50 cigars, or
- 250 g smoking tobacco or
- a proportional selection of these tobacco products*
* A traveller may choose a smaller quantity of cigarerettes in order to import cigars duty-free as well (e.g. 100 cigarettes and 25 cigars). Please note that this option does not apply to make the traveller exempt from taxes.
There is no limit to the quantity of snuff (snus) which may be imported for personal use. However travellers on commercial flights or ferries may not exceed a maximum value of 4 300 SEK (or 3 000 for all other travellers) without paying duty or tax. This amount includes other goods purchased on the trip such as clothing, electronics, etc.
How much must I pay in customs duties and excise for tobacco products in excess of the traveller´s allowance?
- Cigarettes — 0,34 SEK/cigarette in duties, 1,96 SEK/cigarette in tax
- Cigarrer — 0,86 SEK/cigar in duties, 2,19 SEK/cigar in tax
- Smoking tobacco - 428 SEK/kg in duties, 2 422 SEK/kg in tax
- Snuff - 104 SEK/kg in duties, 762 SEK/kg in tax
Tobacco as a gift
As a private individual, you may receive single consignments containing tobacco as a gift, if it is sent from another private individual and is for your personal use.
Duty-free allowance for tobacco products is limited to
- 50 cigarettes or
- 25 cigarillos or
- 10 cigars or
- 50 grams smoking tobacco
- or a combination of these products corresponding to the indicated proportions.
If the gift comtains tobacco, the total value of all the goods you receive duty-free (including for example clothes or toys) may not exceed 500 SEK.
Tax must always be paid for tobacco products.
Last modified: 2019-11-26