This initiative is introduced for the purposes to assist the efforts made at EU level to tackle crime and improve security by cracking down on money laundering, terrorism and criminality.
Who must make a declaration? Any person entering or leaving the European Union through the external control points:
- With € 10 000 or more in cash;
- Or its equivalent in other currencies or easily convertible assets (e. g. bonds, shares, traveller´s cheques).
Where must I make the declaration? The declaration must be completed and lodged with customs (or other competent authority) at the control point through which you enter or leave the EU.
Why must I make a declaration?
- To deter illegal activities such as money laundering and the financing of terrorism by disrupting the movement of illicit funds;
- To comply with European Union Legislation; and
- To avoid penalties for non-compliance.
What if I fail to complete the declaration or submit a false one? The cash could be detained and you could be subject to penalties.
Please be aware that there are separate control and declaration provisions for intra community cash movements in some Member States. These will be applied in addition to EU rules.
Further readingThe following European Commission website gives background information and contains references to sites of individual Member States.